When you’re looking a fast, easy and healthy weeknight meal, Spicy Asian lettuce wraps should be on your menu. Summer is here, which means you can throw heavy, elaborate meals out the window. Summer cooking can, and should, be easier to prepare. In the summer you’ll find lots of local, fresh produce abundant at farmer’s markets and grocery stores. Using fresh ingredients will allow you to create healthier meals that don’t take as long to prepare. I mean, who wants to be slaving away in the kitchen with a blazing hot oven, when you could be outside enjoying the long evenings and beautiful weather? Summer cooking gives you a chance to relax and stop stressing about fixing fancy dinners.
Some people think that eating light, quick-cooking meals means boring salads and turkey burgers. There’s nothing wrong with that! I do love a salad for dinner. It’s fun to load up a big plate of grilled, marinated chicken, local cheeses, home-grown tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and cucumbers. But, yes, that does get boring. Good news! It doesn’t have to be like that. Those same great flavors can translate to other low calorie dishes and offer the same fresh veg and lean protein. Sometimes, it is as easy as making take-out at home.
Living in a small town doesn’t often give us many choices when it comes to take-out. We do have a Chinese food place that does a good job; however, since it is a 30 mile round-trip to town, I don’t always want to drive to get it. Plus, I know that when I make it at home, I can control the ingredients; especially salt and fat. These spicy Asian lettuce wraps are light enough to fill you up and are both light in salt and fat. They are fast and easy, so you won’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I guarantee once you try this recipe you’ll want to make it not only in the summer, but in the winter, fall and spring! I like to serve them with brown rice to round it all out.
Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Worchester Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. Sriracha Sauce (depending on how spicy you like it!)
- 2 Tbsp. water
- zest and juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté onion and carrot until tender. Add beef and brown until cooked through. Add Worchester, Sriracha and water. Once the sauce has reduced, remove from heat and add lime zest, lime juice, green onion and cilantro.
- Remove the core of the lettuce and cut into quarters. Peel away each leave to create cups to hold the beef mixture (like a tortilla for tacos).
- Serve with steamed rice.
Please leave your comments below, I’d love to hear from you! Until next time, cheers!